The U.S. Department of Treasury’s (Treasury) Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program makes funding available to assist households that are unable to pay rent or utilities.  The funds were provided directly to the states, U.S. territories, local governments, and (in the case of the first program, ERA 1) to Indian tribes or Tribally Designated Housing Entities, as applicable, and the Department of Hawaiian Homes Lands.  Grantees use the funds to assist eligible households through existing or newly created rental assistance programs.


In guidance and FAQs, Treasury advised that participants in HUD-assisted rental programs (including the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Public Housing, or Project-Based Rental Assistance programs) are eligible for the ERA program and may receive assistance for the tenant-owed portion of rent or utilities that is not subsidized.  In FAQ’s for PHAs and HCV landlords, PIH clarified that this assistance can include rent arrearages and utilities owed over the utility allowance.  The FAQs include additional guidance on interim reexaminations, income calculations, and additional considerations for private landlords participating in the HCV program.


To learn more about how to apply for ERA go to


State and local ERA grantees can also be accessed from Treasury’s website using the link

Monroe Housing Authority

​Also representing: Madison, Social Circle,

​and Loganville, GA